This One Pot Cheesy Pumpkin and Sausage Pasta post is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of al fresco chicken. All opinions are 100% mine.
Comfort Food in one pan? Yep, you need this Easy Red Beans and Rice
This One Pot Cheesy Pumpkin and Sausage Pasta is only 5 ingredients, super creamy and the perfect weeknight dinner for Fall!
I mentioned in this Pumpkin Cheddar Ale Soup (which is delicious by the way) that we live 30 minutes outside of the Pumpkin capitol of the World. Yes, World.
And no, although it may seem that there is a pumpkin shortage this year (what else you got, 2020?) There is not. You can read about it here
If you are having a hard time finding some in your area, have no fear you can still make this recipe, all the other pumpkin recipes on the blog as I have the perfect solution if you keep reading down to common questions.
Anyways, back to this pumpkin pasta. It’s fabulous!
It’s also easy, fast and only dirties one pan!
The sauce is just pumpkin, half and half and water but when mixed with gouda cheese, it makes for a creamy, melty sauce that coats the pasta so well.
I love using al fresco chicken sausages in my recipes.
They’re packed full of flavor that lasts throughout the recipe.
Like for instance these Sweet Italian sausages. They have red and green bell peppers and fennel in them and which makes them flavorful on their own but also means we can use less ingredients.
INGREDIENTS: What you need
All you need is 5 ingredients (not including water, salt and pepper) to make this one pan dinner!
- 11 oz al fresco Sweet Italian chicken Sausage
- penne pasta
- 1 cup half and half (I used fat free)
- pumpkin puree
- gouda cheese
- salt and pepper
- optional- chopped cilantro and shredded parmesan cheese at the end to garnish.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- Into a pot, over medium heat, brown sausage for about 3 minutes.
Add in pasta, pumpkin puree, half and half, water, salt and pepper.
- Bring up to a boil, reduce heat down to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Fold in gouda cheese.
- Garnish with cilantro and parmesan cheese, if desired.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS DISH
- This pasta cooks all in one pan- yes even the noodles too! Score!
- It’s packed with fiber thanks to the pumpkin puree.
- It’s on the healthier side and even more healthy, and nutrient, if you use a pasta alternative (see below)
We serve this pasta with a garden salad and crusty bread to scoop up every last bit of cheesy goodness.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT CRISPY PANCETTA AND SWEET PEA ZITI
I can’t find pumpkin puree, HELP?
- You can make pumpkin puree from scratch by purchasing a baking pumpkin, cutting in half and removing the seeds and fibers. Place face down on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until a knife can easily be inserted into the flesh.
Can I substitute the half and half for another dairy option?
- Yes, instead of half and half, you can use heavy cream, any type of milk, or another dairy alternative such as unsweetened almond milk.
- Instead of using al fresco Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage, you could try the Apple variety, roasted garlic or spinach and feta.
- Use gorgonzola, goat cheese, pecorino romano or havarti cheese in place of the gouda cheese.
- We used penne, but feel free to use any short cut pasta such as rigatoni, Cavatappi or Farfalle.
- You could even use a pasta alternative such as chickpea, quinoa or black bean. However, these cook quicker than regular pasta so check after 5 minutes.
- Fold in kale or spinach, with the cheese for a nutrient boost.
- Garnish with sage. Pumpkin and sage are best friends forever.
🍂MORE FALL RECIPES:
Smoky Apple Corn Chowder
Caramel Apple Cider Banana Bread
Autumn Harvest Pizza
Apple Chai Almond Butter
One Pan Pork Chops with Apples and Cinnamon
Blood Orange Party Punch
However, pumpkin works really well as a savory dish too and if you’ve never tried it before, I highly recommend this pasta as a starting point!
still hungry for more?
follow me on facebook, pinterest and instagram for more deliciousness!
pin this recipe on pinterest!
Subscribe! sign up for easy + delicious recipes delivered weekly-straight to your inbox!
Just made this tonight and it was delicious………..