This Green Bean Casserole from Scratch was sponsored by Better Than Bouillon as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Ditch the can and make your own homemade cream of mushroom soup for this easy Green Bean Casserole From Scratch. It’ll be the star side dish of your table!
I get it. Just another green bean casserole recipe to join the 40 million other ones on Google.
This one is different. Better.
It’s simple, easy, delicious and contains no canned soup. That’s right. You’re going to make homemade cream of mushroom soup and I promise you’ll never go back.
It takes less than 10 minutes to make cream of mushroom soup all thanks to a secret ingredient; Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base
Better Than Bouillon is a concentrate that imparts so much flavor into this casserole that your guests will think you’ve been cooking it all day.
It’s equivalent to a bouillon cube or broth so you won’t have to add any extra liquid and your green bean casserole won’t be watery!
I’ve been using Better Than Bouillon products for years thanks to my dad. It was always a staple in his fridge and now it’s always in mine (and my pantry)
I love Better Than Bouillon Roasted Garlic and Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base for everyday family meals.
Better Than Bouillon has a variety of bases in a range of flavors to satisfy everyone around the table.
INGREDIENTS IN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- Butter, unsalted
- Sour cream
- Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base
- salt and pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- French fried onions
HOW TO MAKE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE EASY:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in large skillet and add in your garlic. Cook for 1 minute and then add onion and mushrooms. Once sauteed, about 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- In the same skillet, add in 2 tablespoons of butter and when melted, whisk in flour. Cook for 1 minute and then whisk in milk, sour cream and 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base. Whisk for 2-3 minutes until warm and bubbly.
- Fold in green beans and thoroughly coat in mushroom mixture.
- Pour green bean mixture into 2 1/2 quart casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese and top with fried onions
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown.
CAN YOU USE CANNED GREEN BEANS?
Yes. Be sure to rinse and completely drain the beans before adding to the pan.
CAN YOU USE FRESH GREEN BEANS?
Yes. Follow these steps to easily boil green beans;
- Add water to a medium stockpot and bring to a boil.
- When it’s boiling, add salt and beans. Cook beans 2-3 minutes. You still want them to have some bite left to them as you’ll be baking the casserole in the oven.
- Drain and immediately place into a bowl full of ice and water to shock the green beans and stop the cooking.
- Drain completely and add to pan with homemade cream of mushroom soup.
CAN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely. I always spend the day before a holiday prepping all of the dishes so the next day runs more smoothly.
To make ahead, prepare entire dish, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap and bake as directed.
CAN YOU FREEZE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE?
Yes. I recommend freezing green bean casserole AFTER it’s been baked.
- Bake casserole without the cheese or crispy topping. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Tightly wrap green bean casserole in saran wrap and then in foil. Place into the freezer.
- Remove saran wrap and foil. Add cheese and crispy fried onions to the top of the casserole and bake as directed.
VARIATIONS ON GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- This Green bean casserole is vegetarian. To keep it vegetarian and add another flavor, you can sub in Better Than Bouillon Roasted Garlic base (yum) mushroom base or seasoned vegetable base for the Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base.
- If you aren’t worried about keeping it vegetarian, you can sub the Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base for Better Than Bouillon turkey base, roasted chicken base or turkey base.
- To kick it up a notch, add in a little cayenne pepper to the mix when you add the salt and pepper to the mushrooms.
- You can substitute white cheddar for the sharp cheddar.
- Substitute the french fried onions for french fried roasted red peppers or french fried jalapenos.