Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie has a layer of smooth and creamy chocolate, sweet and dreamy coconut and topped with whipped cream, toasted coconut and more chocolate! It’s decadent, rich and sinfully delicious!
It’s #PiDay! There are so many different pies I really wasn’t sure what I was going to bring to this day.
Pizza is my favorite kind of pie but when I stumbled across this Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie in a magazine, I knew I had to make this show stopper!
Maybe next Pi Day I’ll feature my favorite kind of pizza, Chicago Style Deep dish! Tell me, what do you prefer; sweet or savory when it comes to pies?
I’ll be honest and say, I don’t make pies often and if I do, they come from the freezer section.
My husband’s favorite pie is Razzleberry Pie, you know, the one in the green box. If he’s really lucky, I’ll make him a strawberry rhubarb pie but more than likely it’s coming from the store.
I’m just not a HUGE pie fan, especially a flaky pie crust. I’d much rather have an Oreo cookie crust. I’ll eat pumpkin pie during the holidays day, but you better believe I’m not eating the crust.
Which make this entire post sound very unauthentic, me stating I don’t like a pie crust, so let me rephrase. If I had the option, I will always choose a cream pie and that is why this Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie initially caught my eye.
Chocolate and coconut are one of my favorite combinations, hello Almond Joy. Not to mention this pie is just gorgeous. So while this pie definitely has a flaky pie crust, the layers of delicious and creamy sweetness, make up for it and it’s sinfully delicious.
Here comes more honesty for you, this pie crust came outta the freezer. Yep, I used a little help from the doughboy himself on this one. I mean why mess with a good thing?!
The chocolate, coconut and whipped cream layer is all me though, homemade. So, I still win.
I found this recipe in a magazine and it’s by Dorie Greenspan. Now if you haven’t heard of you, you are A. living under a rock or B. probably not into baking as much as some of us are.
Dorie is an award winning cookbook author and her recipes are truly remarkable. I highly recommend you giving her name a quick Google and checking her out.
The first layer of this Chocolate Coconut Cream pie is the chocolate filling. Is it ever delicious. Then topped with a sweet and creamy coconut layer that has coconut running throughout. I topped the pie with homemade whipped cream, toasted coconut and a sprinkle of extra chocolate because why not.
The results are in the Chocolate Coconut Cream pie, literally.
I mean, how could you not want to dive face first into this?!
Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie
Yield 8 servings
Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie has a layer of smooth and creamy chocolate, sweet and dreamy coconut and topped with whipped cream, toasted coconut and more chocolate! It's decadent, rich and sinfully delicious!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 (12-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts, baked and cooled
- 1 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toasted coconut, chocolate shavings, etc for topping pie.
- In a small saucepan or microwave bring milk to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan whisk the yolks with the sugar, cornstarch and salt until well blended and thick. Whisking constantly, in a slow stream over medium heat, add the milk to the sugar mixture and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes and remove from heat
- Whisk in melted chocolate and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in butter until incorporated and smooth. Press a piece of plastic wrap over the surface and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small saucepan, over medium low heat, stir together heavy cream, shredded coconut and vanilla and bring to a boil. Continue to cook mixture until reduced by half and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature
- When ready to assemble, place coconut cream mixture into the bottom of your cooled pie crust and spread evenly. Quickly whisk the chocolate to loosen and pour over the coconut mixture, in an even layer. If not serving immediately, place a piece of plastic wrap against the filling and refrigerate up to 6 hours.
- If you are ready to serve, into the bowl of your stand mixer or in a large bowl, place heavy cream and whip until soft peaks form, about 2-3 minutes. Turn down to low and add in powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks. Spread over the pie. Top with toasted coconut, chocolate shavings, etc.*
*Best served within 2 hours of full assembly.
Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie
Serving Size 8 servings
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 43 g
Saturated Fat 26 g
Cholesterol 183 mg
Sodium 244 mg
Total Carbohydrates 51 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 31 g
Protein 8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
I’ve always wanted to participate in #piday and happily, after being here for almost 3 years, I’ve finally done it.
I’ve also got an awesome round up of other delicious pies by some of my favorite food bloggers below. Check em out and make one today so you too can celebrate #NationalPieday
Be sure to check out these other Pi Day Pie Recipes from a few of my favorite bloggers
- Beef Stew Pot Pie with Homemade Puff Pastry Topping by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- Brownie Mint Pie by Family Around The Table
- Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Chocolate Mint Pie by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Velvet Pie with Meringue Crust by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Streusel Topped Carrot Pie by Cooking With Carlee
- Coconut Chess Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Crazy Easy No Bake Key Lime Pie by Jonesin’ For Taste
- Easy Buttermilk Pie Recipe by West Via Midwest
- Easy Lemon Pie by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
- Lamb, Basmati Rice, and Grape Leaf Pi(e) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mini Custard Pie by The Freshman Cook
- Mini Lemon Meringue Pies by Cookaholic Wife
- Mixed Berry Mini Pies by Bear & Bug Eats
- Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie by Everyday Eileen
- Shamrock Shake Pie by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Smoked Salmon and Herb Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Lemonade Pie by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Pie by Palatable Pastime
- Torta Pascualina (Spinach Ricotta Pie) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Upside Down Apple Pie by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
still hungry for more?
pin this recipe on pinterest!
Subscribe! sign up for easy + delicious recipes delivered weekly-straight to your inbox!