These Instant Pot Horseradish Mashed Potatoes are extra creamy, packed with a tang from the horseradish and come together quickly for an elevated take on classic mashed potatoes!
Mashed potatoes, how I love thee. We can all count the ways but nothing say pure comfort food like a big bowl of creamy, mashed potatoes.
Every holiday I make the Pioneer Woman’s mashed potatoes. They’re amazing.
This year, I decided I’d make my own version of her classic mashed potato recipe but add my own flavor to them.
I also wanted to free up more space in my oven so I made these mashed potatoes in the instant pot.
And they’re everything you’d want in a mashed potato. Velvety, creamy and packed with a punch! They’ll be your family’s favorite new recipe!
We love horseradish in our family, I even put it in our meatloaf (don’t knock it til you try it!)
So when thinking of a mashed potato recipe, I knew I could add some tang with prepared horseradish.
Turned out simply amazing.
The subtleness of the horseradish shines through the creamy and flavorful mashed potatoes to bring them to another level of deliciousness.
I also love that these instant pot mashed potatoes are no drain!
INGREDIENTS IN CREAMY MASHED POTATOES
- cream cheese
- prepared horseradish
- garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES:
- Place quartered potatoes into your instant pot with water and salt and set to Steam for 20 minutes.
- Allow steam to release and carefully remove the lid.
- Add in cream cheese, butter, milk, horseradish, garlic, pepper and fresh parsley and mash.
WHAT TYPES OF POTATOES CAN YOU USE IN THE INSTANT POT?
I used red potatoes for these horseradish mashed potatoes, which came out fantastic, because I used room temperature ingredients and din’t have to over mash. However, they can become waxy so if you feel more comfortable, use Russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes.
Just keepin’ it real.
CAN YOU MAKE THESE MASHED POTATOES ON THE STOVE TOP?
Stove top instructions:
- Add potatoes to a large stockpot and fill with water 1″ above the potatoes.
- Bring water to a boil and when boiling, add salt. Boil until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain.
- Add back into the pot and add remaining ingredients. Mash to desired consistency.
WHY SHOULD I USE ROOM TEMPERATURE INGREDIENTS?
If you were to use ingredients straight from the fridge;
- It would bring down the temperature of the potatoes, and shock them, making it take longer to melt the butter and cream cheese and you’ll be left stirring and mashing for awhile.
- Room temperature ingredients blend better to result in a smooth, creamy mashed potato otherwise you’ll be left with gummy potatoes and that just isn’t appealing.
INSTANT POT MASHED POTATO VARIATIONS
- You could add white cheddar cheese to these potatoes that would really put them over the top!
- Substitute the fresh parsley for rosemary or sage.
- Use half and half or heavy cream for the milk.
- ADD BACON!
- Leave out the horseradish! The base for these mashed potatoes is SO GOOD, they can stand on their own.
This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I’ll make a small commission based on your purchase! There’s never any extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Strawberry Blondie Kitchen! ?
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES