These Black Cat Whoopie Pies were created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Looking for another cute Halloween recipe? Check out this Batty Death by Chocolate Dessert Ball
These Black Cat Whoopie Pies are double the decadence with moist chocolate cakes sandwiched together with chocolate buttercream frosting for a cute Halloween treat!
I am no stranger to whoopie pies here. Arguably, they might be one of my favorite things to make and eat
Who can resist fluffy cakes sandwiched together with delicious filling?!
So I just knew I had to make a Halloween version and these Black Cats turned out so cute!
🍫Check out these other whoopie pies below:
For these whoopie pies I went with double the chocolate.
They are super easy to make, so please don’t be intimidated. However, I do recommend a whoopie pie pan for these.
You could even make little mini versions!
INGREDIENTS: What you need
- unsalted butter, soften to room temperature
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- espresso powder, optional
- baking powder
- baking soda
- teaspoon salt
For the chocolate buttercream
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter, soften to room temperature
- 13 ounces powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Eyeball candy
- white gel icing
- 12pink sixlets
- 24 pieces candy corn
- 2 ounces chocolate candy melts
Thank you to Dixie Crystals for sponsoring this event and for the sugar!
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Into a mixing bowl beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Slowly add in the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk. Beat until combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons) place batter into wells of pan. Bake in oven for 8-9 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
When the whoopie pies are cooled, pipe the chocolate buttercream onto the bottom of your whoopie pies and place on the top whoopie pie to create a sandwich.
Using gel frosting, add three dots, to secure the eyes and nose.
Draw “hooks” under the nose and whiskers with the white icing.
For the ears. I was going to use chocolate covered almonds but found they were too large.
Therefore, I made chocolate covered candy corn.
Just melt chocolate, stir in candy corn and allow excess chocolate to drip off. Place onto parchment paper to set.
Then insert into the frosting to create cat ears.
You can use any type of triangle chocolate/brown candy for the ears.
how do you store whoopie pies?
I recommend storing whoopie pies in the refrigerator, in an air tight container, because of the buttercream frosting.
Refrigerated whoopie pies will last up to 1 week.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT WHOOPIE PIES
I think it’s too much chocolate, what else can I fill these with?
- There are a few versions of whoopie pies on the blog. I would suggest either going with a vanilla frosting, which you can find here, or even the marshmallow frosting from these hot chocolate ones. Or how about peanut butter frosting? You can find a recipe here: here
can I use a box mix to make these?
- Sure! I totally get it. Sometimes it’s easier to use a boxed cake mix. Go for it!
can I make these into bats?
- Heck yeah! How cute would that be? I would make the whoopie pies and place on the eyeball candies. After that I would take a chocolate sandwich cookie, like an OREO and twist off one half. Cut the round into half, to make wings, and insert into the sides where the frosting is.
can whoopie pies be frozen?
- Yes, you can freeze whoopie pies.
You can either freeze the individual cakes, without frosting, by wrapping tightly in saran wrap, then aluminum foil and placed into a zip top bag or air tight container Or you can assemble the whoopie pies, with the buttercream frosting, individually wrap in saran wrap and then foil and when frozen, store in freezer bags or an airtight containers.
You could pour orange chocolate over the tops of these and make them into pumpkin whoopie pies and draw a face on them with black icing.
🎃 MORE HALLOWEEN RECIPES
Take a look more spooky Halloween recipes from our #HalloweenTreatsWeek Bloggers today:
Halloween Cookies & Bars:
- Peanut Butter Spider Cookies from BigBearsWife
- Chocolate Almond Owl Eye Cookies from Savory Moments
- Halloween Sugar Cookies from House of Nash Eats
- Mini Mallowmar Candy Corn Cookies from Sweet ReciPEAS
- Chocolate Chip Spider Cookies from Fresh Coast Eats
- Black Cat Whoopie Pies from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Halloween Cakes & Cupcakes:
- Pumpkin Spice Layer Cake from The Flour Handprint
- Flying Purple People Eater Cake Balls from The Spiffy Cookie
- Cream Cheese Brownies with Pumpkin from Back To My Southern Roots
- Pan de Muerto (Day of the dead bread) from Lemon Blossoms
- Eye of Newt Halloween Milkshake from It’s Shanaka
Sweet Halloween Treats:
- Halloween Marshmallow Pops from Devour Dinner
- Monster Mouths from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spooky Peanut Butter Balls from Tastes of Homemade
- Spider Web Ice Cream Pie from An Affair from the Heart
- Halloween Fudge from Sweet Beginnings
- The Best Halloween Muddy Buddies Mix from Family Around the Table
- Halloween Treat Popcorn Balls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Halloween Charcuterie Board from I am a Honey Bee
Savory Halloween Recipes:
- Air Fried Bat Wings from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Spooky Season is here and it is time for 2020’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 3rd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsor and bloggers this year!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Prize #2 from Angie at BigBearsWife
Ninja OP301 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, with 6.5 Quart Capacity and 45 Recipe Book, and a High Gloss Finish
Prize #3 from Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar
Origami Owl Locket and Halloween Charms
Prize #4 from Kathy at Lemon Blossoms
6 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Prize #5 from Terri at Our Good Life
Young Living’s Thieves Mints ($50 Value)
Pop a Thieves Mint into your mouth for cinnamint-fresh breath after meals. Made with naturally derived ingredients and free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, Thieves Mints are a choice you can feel good about. Created with Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, these mints deliver minty coolness with a hint of warm, sugar-free sweetness. Thieves Mints come in a conveniently sized container that is great to take on the go!!
Prize #6 from Julie at Back To My Southern Roots
1 Copy of – The Peanuts Family Cookbook: Delicious Dishes for Kids to Make with Their Favorite Grown-Ups
Prize #8 from Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS
1 Copy of her new cookbook “Holy Sweet! 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts”
Prize #9 from Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
1 Copy of her cookbook, “Incredible One-Pot Cooking: Easy, Delicious Recipes for Exciting Meals Without the Mess”
Prize #10 from Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog
1 Copy of “Friends: The Official Cookbook”
ONE (1) $75 Amazon gift card
Prize #12 from Shanaka from It’s Shanaka
ONE (1) $25 Amazon gift card
Prize #13 from Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Prize #14 from Amy from House of Nash Eats
ONE (1) $100 Amazon gift card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 5th – October 10th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 14 prizes and therefore we will have a total of 14 winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes. We would also love to give a huge thanks to our Halloween Treats Week bloggers because a lot of them also donated prizes for the giveaways, including: Angie of BigBearsWife , Nicole of Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar, Kathy of Lemon Blossoms, Terri of Our Good Life, Julie of Back To My Southern Roots, Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS, Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen, Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog, Michaela of An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer of Take Two Tapas , Michele of West Via Midwest, Shanaka of It’s Shanaka, Ashley of Cheese Curd In Paradise, and Amy from House of Nash Eats!
still hungry for more?
pin this recipe on pinterest!
Subscribe! sign up for easy + delicious recipes delivered weekly-straight to your inbox!