This post has been sponsored Pillsbury™. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Rich chocolate espresso cakes are layered with Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting made with real Jif® Peanut Butter to create this Peanut Butter Espresso cake which is the ultimate cake lover’s dream!
If you love peanut butter, try these Peanut Butter and Jelly Breakfast Rolls!
If there is one thing I wish I knew it was how to bake. I love looking at all the gorgeous cakes, macaroons and pies that come out of people’s kitchens but I’m just not a baker. I will cook you a 3- course meal any night of the week but when it comes to dessert, chances are you might be getting a boxed cake.
Except when there is a birthday in the house then I break out my cookbooks, dust off my cake pans and get to work. That’s exactly what happened with this Peanut Butter Espresso Cake. I knew immediately when I saw it my husband would love it!
You see, we’re peanut butter lovers in this house. If it’s got peanut butter in it, you know it will be eaten
My husband and I are also coffee fanatics so the entire combination of this cake is perfect for him and his special day.
I headed out to Kroger to purchase some cake flour as I was out. Sometimes, when making cakes, I prefer cake flour for this Peanut Butter Espresso Cake over all-purpose flour. It gives the cake a lighter, airy feel to the cake but you can use whatever you have on hand.
For this cake, I usually whip up my own peanut butter frosting but as I’m cruisin’ down the baking aisle, my eyes landed upon Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting made with real Jif® Peanut Butter! Not only is this going to save time but we love Pillsbury products and Jif® Peanut Butter so this is just genius!
The espresso cake is made from scratch and it’s very simple to do, but again, for a time saver, you can use a box of Pillsbury Dark Chocolate cake mix and substitute espresso for the water.
After the cakes were made and cooled, I assembled them. Place one cake on the bottom of a cake stand and then spread 1.5 containers of Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting made with real Jif® Peanut Butter on top. I like a really thick layer of frosting in the middle of a cake but you could get away with 1 container.
Place 2nd cake on top and spread 1.5 containers of Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting made with real Jif® Peanut Butter all over the top and on the sides. Place some frosting into a piping bag and pipe dollops on the top and place a chocolate covered espresso bean into the center.
Voila, you’ve got a show stopper cake worthy of a birthday party or just a Sunday afternoon for the peanut butter and espresso lover in your life!
Peanut Butter Espresso Cake
Yield 16 servings
Rich chocolate espresso cakes are layered with Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting to create this Peanut Butter Espresso Cake-the ultimate cake lover’s dream!
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup espresso, chilled
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 containers Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting made with real Jif® Peanut Butter
- Chocolate covered espresso beans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2-8” cake pans with parchment paper (I hightly recommend these parchment round papers) and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together dry ingredients; cake flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together buttermilk, espresso, coconut oil, vanilla extract and eggs.
- Make a well into the center of the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Mix until incorporated.
- Pour about 2 ½ cups batter into each prepared cake pan and place into oven.
- Bake for 30-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool and then remove from pans and place onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Place 1 cake onto a cake stand or plate. Spread 1 ½ containers Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting made with real Jif® Peanut Butter.
- Place last cake on top and spread 1 container of Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting made with real Jif® Peanut Butter all over the top and the sides.
- Place remaining ½ container peanut butter frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star attachment and make dollops on the edges of the cake. Into each dollop, place 1 chocolate covered espresso bean.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 30 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 24 mg
Sodium 365 mg
Total Carbohydrates 60 g
Dietary Fiber 3 g
Sugars 42 g
Protein 10 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Dare I say this Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting might be better than my homemade version? I know, I just threw myself under the bus, but I can imagine keeping a container of this frosting in my pantry and spreading it on so many things.
I would also use it to create dips for football games, after school snack time and spread onto a piece of celery. Basically, I’d use it just like peanut butter. It’s creamy, smooth and absolutely delicious!
Psst… there’s also a chocolate variety of this Pillsbury™ Peanut Butter Frosting made with real Jif® Peanut Butter! YAS!
still hungry for more?
pin this recipe on pinterest!
subscribe! sign up for easy + delicious recipes delivered weekly-straight to your inbox!