Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf with Glaze is a moist, easy and delicious cake that’ll be ready in less than an hour!
Lemon Shortbread Bars! They’re to die for!
Bright, Fun, Sunshine. All the words to describe Spring, and this Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf with Glaze.
There’s something about lemon that has me singing the praises of Spring.
I think it’s the bright yellow that reminds me of the sunshine, the flowers popping up and sweet lemonade.
But this Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf with Glaze has won the heart of my entire family!
It’s perfect first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee, in the afternoon with some tea and a midnight snack when you don’t want to share!
Grocery list for lemon bread
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- unsalted butter, softened
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemons, divided
- vanilla yogurt
- fresh lemon juice
- poppy seeds
For the Glaze
- fresh lemon juice
- powdered sugar
Step by step instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan if not using a nonstick pan.
- Into a large bowl add flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Into the bowl of your stand mixer or a large bowl, add butter and beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in sugar and 1/2 the lemon zest and continue to beat for 1 minute.
- Add in yogurt, lemon juice and mix until combined. Then add in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Add dry ingredients into the bowl and combine. Fold in poppy seeds.
- Pour into nonstick loaf pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 1 hour before adding icing.
- Into a large bowl, add powdered sugar and lemon juice and whisk until combined. Drizzle over loaf cake, slice and serve.
Here is the Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf without Glaze. Right after it comes out of the oven.
Don’t worry about the cracks, you’ll be covering those with a sweet lemon glaze and no one will be able to tell.
The lemon glaze couldn’t be easier.
Into a bowl combine powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice. Whisk to combine and drizzle all over the top of the loaf cake.
She’s beautiful, isn’t she?
how to adapt this recipe with tips and variations
- Swap lemons for oranges and make an orange poppy seed loaf cake.
- Use room temperature ingredients such as butter and yogurt
- Switch the type of yogurt used. I used vanilla but you could use blueberry yogurt, strawberry or lemon for more flavor punch.
- If you don’t have yogurt on hand, feel free to swap with sour cream.
Tuesday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- 6-Ingedient Mango-Coconut Bundt Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava Cake for Passover by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Blood Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Simply Inspired Meals
- Blueberry Flavored Coffee Ice Cream by Jen Around the World
- Blueberry Flower Tarts by Blogghetti
- Brownie Batter Mocha Bundt Cake by Sweet Beginnings
- Chocolate Mousse Cake by Family Around the Table
- Coffee Caramel Sauce by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Deep Chocolate Mint Snack Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Greek Yogurt Tangerine Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Lemon Pizzelles by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Pecan Scones by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pink Champagne Cupcakes by Cookaholic Wife
- Strawberry Pie Bars by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Pudding by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Vegan Orange Poppyseed Bundt Cake with Strawberry Icing by The Baking Fairy