This Tomato Pie with Herb Crust recipe is sponsored by Minerva Dairy. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
This Tomato Pie with Herb Crust is the epitome of summer. A simple buttery, herb crust, Sweet heirloom tomatoes and loads of cheese! What more could you ask for?!
Let’s talk about heirloom tomatoes. Aren’t they gorgeous?!
I love the colors and uniqueness of each tomato and how beautifully they make this tomato pie.
To me, Heirloom tomatoes are sweet, juicy and delicious. I often sprinkle with salt and pepper and eat them by the slice.
But when they’re baked in a flaky, buttery, cheesy crust and topped with herbs and cheese, the results are this epic tomato pie.
By now it’s clear… my love for Minerva Dairy’s garlic herb butter. (This Summer Panzanella Salad with Garlic Butter Croutons is amazing and you can use the croutons for so many things!)
I mean what’s not to love. Rich and creamy butter with garlic, herbs and sea salt….oh baby! And that’s what you’ll always find when you choose Minerva dairy. It’s butter made better, always.
This cheesy herb crust is to die for. I had a little bit of dough leftover so I shaped into a circle and ate it like a cracker. So stinking good.
I highly recommend using this crust for any type of cracker, wafer or even tart you need to make.
So, let’s get this recipe started.
For the Crust
1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar
1 tablespoon fresh chives
1 tablespoon fresh basil
Minerva Dairy garlic and herb butter
For the filling
Italian cheese blend
red pepper flakes (optional)
Step by step instructions
For the Crust
Into your food processor add flour, cheese, chives, basil and salt. Pulse until combined. Add in butter and pulse until pea sized pieces form. Slowly add in water just until dough comes together. Knead together and place into saran wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
For the Tomatoes
Thinly slice the tomatoes and lay onto a paper towel lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
For the Filling
Into a bowl, mayonnaise, Italian cheese, cheddar cheese, egg, dijon, chives, basil, sugar and red pepper flakes (if using) Stir to fully combine.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out onto floured surface.
- Place dough into a 9″ pie dish, crimping the sides and prick the bottom with a fork.
- Bake for 15 minutes or slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Place half the cheese mixture into the bottom of the pie crust, then top with a layer of sliced tomatoes. Top with the remaining cheese mixture and top with slice tomatoes.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until firm and the crust is golden brown.*
- Top with additional chopped herbs, slice and serve.
*if the crust begins to brown too quickly, wrap aluminum foil around the edges and continue to bake until set.
Recipe variations and tips
- You could also make this recipe with any combination of cheese you’d like. Fontina, ricotta, goat cheese, manchego or feta.
- Switch up the herbs. I love the combo of basil with chives, but you could also use oregano, parsley, rosemary, dill and/or thyme.
- Can I use a store bought pie crust?
- Of course! You won’t have the same flavors as this recipe, but as a shortcut, you definitely can.
- How should I store this tomato pie?
- I recommend storing in the refridgerator for up to 3 days. You can either wrap tightly with saran wrap or slice and place into an air tight container.
- Can I use any type of tomatoes?
- Yes, I just LOVE the color and uniqueness of heirloom tomatoes, but you can you whatever variety you’d like and can find. However, I still recommend removing as much water from the tomatoes as possible, slicing and salting before placing into the pie crust.
We like to serve this tomato pie with a light salad making for the perfect lunch, brunch or dinner.
Enjoy more tomato recipes🍅
It’s the perfect dish to bring to a wine party, girls night in or just to enjoy on the porch while sipping sweet tea.
still hungry for more?
pin this recipe on pinterest!
Subscribe! sign up for easy + delicious recipes delivered weekly-straight to your inbox!