This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MakeBacktoSchoolPremium
These Easy School Lunch Ideas can help your mornings run more smoothly, keep the kids happy and provide a delicious meal to fuel them through their day.
I can hardly believe we’re already prepping for back to school.
This year is a new adventure for all of us. My son is going into junior high, in a new school district, and my daughter is also starting a new elementary school.
New school, new friends, new routines, new car pool lines, new everything.
So, essentially we’re starting over. As a mom, I want to ease both of my children into these unfamiliar situations to the best of my ability.
That starts with their favorite foods at lunchtime.
Over the years I have learned what my children prefer in their lunches, how much to pack and what not to pack.
I shop at Kroger for Land O’Frost® Premium Meats
They have a variety of flavors, which my kids love, they’re a healthy and affordable protein and I love the resealable pouch for added freshness! My husband and I also love to make sandwiches for our lunches so we always have a few packages in the fridge at all times. Here are a few easy lunch solutions I’ve learned over the years to keep the kids happy during lunch time:
- Pack their favorites
- My son LOVES turkey sub sandwiches, so I start with Land O’Frost® Premium Meat Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, a sub roll, lettuce, cheese and mayonnaise, for him.
- My daughter prefers tortillas, so for her, I use Land O’Frost® Premium Sub Kit Honey Ham & Turkey, and make her turkey and ham roll ups with cheese, lettuce and “special sauce.”
- Pack more than you think they will eat
- My kids started coming home starving after school which made me ask, “did you have enough to eat at lunchtime?” Depending on the day, it was either a yes or a no. Therefore, I started packing a few extra packaged items and told them if they didn’t eat them, to bring them home. I also pack a few extra items in my son’s backpack so he has a snack on the bus.
- Reliable lunch containers with compartments
- I love these compartments containers that can keep foods separate. They’re close tightly, so if I pack something with liquid, I know the juices won’t run into other parts of the container. I just use a cold pack under the container and they fit right into their lunch boxes.
A few ideas for deli roll ups and deli sub sandwiches
Turkey and Cheese sub
- Sub sandwich roll
- Land O’Frost® Premium Meat Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- cheddar cheese
- iceburg lettuce
Turkey and everything but the bagel roll ups
- Large tortilla
- cream cheese
- everything but the bagel seasoning
- Land O’Frost® Premium Meat Oven Roasted Turkey Breas
- string cheese
- Roll up and slice
Turkey and ham with “special sauce”
- Large tortilla
- Land O’Frost® Premium Sub Kit Honey Ham & Turkey
- special sauce
- mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish
- cheese (sharp, mild, colby)
- shredded lettuce
- Roll up and slice
I place these “main dishes” into the large compartment of the lunch containers and then into the smaller containers I include a few more of their favorite snacks.
- white cheddar popcorn
- BBQ chips
- yogurt covered raisins
- cheese crackers
Use your children’s favorite foods to make their lunch feel extra special.
Sometimes I include Lunch Box Notes, but being my son is going into 6th grade, I don’t think that’s “cool” anymore so I’ll save my love language to packing his most loved foods.
What are some of your kids favorite lunches?