Easy chillin’ is my motto this summertime with a little help from The Mexican Shandy. Lemonade, mango and beer combine to bring you this light and refreshing cocktail that will have you “finding the beach” in no time!
If you love Mexican flavors, try this Mexican Potato Salad for your next get together!
T minus 4 days and school’s out for the summa! I’m excited, and I’m looking forward to a little R & R. I envision many days being spent lazily by the pool while sipping on a refreshing beverage. We also have a few vacations planned which we always look forward to.
I’m ready for the sun to be shining all day long and for it to be out in all its glory until 9 p.m. Bring on the summer gatherings and all the Mexican Shandys!
We have friends coming in from out-of-town in June and I’ve already begun the stages of planning the get together. As I’ve said before I’m a huge fan of “bars” as in food and drink stations where people can craft their own meal or drink.
We’ve nailed down the drink as we’ll be serving Mexican Shandys. They’re refreshing, light (thanks to the 99 calories in Corona Light and absolutely delightful! Nothing cools you on a warm summer’s day quite like a bubbly lemonade cocktail!
I’m also a huge supporter of pitcher style cocktails, so you don’t have to play bartender to your friends all night. And yes, my friends, The Mexican Shandy is pitcher style friendly!
As for the food, we’ll be keeping it simple with a hot dog bar. I know seems so simple, right? But that’s exactly how a party should be. Simple, fun and easy. We’ll lay out a few different types of hot dog style buns and a huge toppings bar so guests can go crazy.
Let’s get back to these shandys which are really the star of the party.
You start by making lemonade ice cubes. Ain’t nobody got time for watered down cocktails and you know how fast ice melts when it’s 95 degrees out. Then you make your homemade lemonade and combine it into a pitcher with some mango juice. Then pour in a few bottles of Corona Light.
The Corona Light is perfect in here as it’s a golden, light pilsner-style lager. It’s smooth but has a great hoppy taste which leads itself great to this shandy. It also pairs well with spicy and citrus style Mexican food.
Once everything is mixed in the pitcher rim your glasses with some orange juice and dip those rims into some ancho chile powder mixed with salt. It gives the drink a slight kick which is unexpected but delicious. Then add some lemonade ice cubes to your glass and pour in your Mexican Shandy. Garnish with an orange or lime slice and you’ve got yourself the perfect summertime refresher.
Don’t these just scream summer? The color reminds me of a gorgeous sunrise or sunset that just has you begging to hit the beach-STAT!
The Mexican Shandy is going to be the cocktail of the summer.
The Mexican Shandy
Yield 8 servings
Easy chillin’ is my motto this summertime with a little help from The Mexican Shandy. Light and refreshing, this cocktail will have you “finding the beach” in no time! | Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- 4 cups lemonade store bought or homemade*recipe below
- 2 cups mango juice (I use a 15-calorie mango passion fruit variety)
- 2 bottles Corona Light Beer
- Ancho Chile powder
- Kosher salt
- 32 lemonade ice cubes, divided
- Orange slices
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 cup water, divided
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 10-12 lemons)
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine sugar and 2 cups of water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool.
- In a large pitcher combine syrup and remaining cups of water. Chill until ready to serve.
The Mexican Shandy
- Into 2 ice cube trays, pour 4 cups lemonade and freeze until solid.
- In a large pitcher, mix lemonade, mango juice and Corona Light. Chill until ready to serve.
- Mix together ancho Chile powder and kosher salt on a plate. Rim the edges of your glasses with an orange slice and dip into ancho Chile powder mixture.
- Place ½ cup lemonade ice cubes (3-4 cubes) into your glasses and pour in the Mexican Shandy. Garnish with an orange or lime slice.
Light, easy on the palate and refreshing, this is one drink you’re sure to be sipping all season long!
Sound off in the comments below and let me know how you plan to spend your summer. I love to hear your creative ideas and get a few ideas of my own!
still hungry for more?
pin this recipe on pinterest!
subscribe! sign up for easy + delicious recipes delivered weekly-straight to your inbox!