Lightly fried cod, is placed into charred corn tortillas, topped with thinly sliced avocado and cabbage and drizzled with a spicy crema sauce to bring you these Spicy Baja Fish Tacos worthy of your next Friday Fish Fry!
Who here likes spicy food? ? Who here likes Mexican food? ? Who here thinks lime should be its own food group? ?
If you answered “me” to any of these questions, you can A. Move in with me. B. feel my pain when it comes to occasional heartburn.
I don’t know what it is but as soon as I turned thirty something, even the sight of spicy, acidic foods gives me occasional heartburn.
But who can resist a delicious dish such as these spicy fish baja tacos just so they can avoid heartburn? I know I can’t and won’t.
Luckily, we don’t have to anymore. Occasional heartburn and sleeplessness relief here I come!
My kids love cod, which makes me so happy because for the longest time they turned their nose up at it.
Now cod has become a family favorite and these spicy baja fish tacos work perfectly with it.
Fried foods are another thing that can trigger my occasional heartburn, so first off, these are lightly fried.
I’m not a fan of heavily fried foods, so these have a light batter.
Once they’re fried to golden perfection, they’re placed into a corn tortilla, topped with spicy crema, thin avocado and red cabbage. They’re fantastic!
These Spicy Baja Fish Tacos are fresh, delicious and ready in under 20 minutes!
Spicy Baja Fish Tacos
Yield 4 servings
Lightly fried cod, is placed into charred corn tortillas, topped with thinly sliced avocado and cabbage and drizzled with a spicy crema sauce.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 12 ounces beer (I used a Mexican beer)
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Water for thinning
- Oil, for frying
- 1 pound firm white fish such as cod, halibut or tilapia, cut into 1” wide strips. (I used cod)
- 8- Corn tortillas (I char them over an open flame)
- ¼ head of Red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk all ingredients into a bowl and place into refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place enough oil into a large skillet, about 1 inch in depth. Set over medium heat. Place the handle of a wooden spoon into the oil to check if it’s ready. It’s ready when bubbles begin to appear around the tip of the handle.
- Dip cod into batter and gently place into pan, careful to not over crowd. Fry in oil about 5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Place onto paper towel lined paper and sprinkle with salt. Repeat until all fish has been fried.
- Place cod into corn tortillas and top with red cabbage, avocado slices and drizzle with crema.
Serving Size 4 servings
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Sodium 1027 mg
Total Carbohydrates 44 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 20 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Don’t let occasional heartburn and sleeplessness deter you from enjoying your favorite foods. Alka-Seltzer® PM Gummies allows you to enjoy the spicy foods that you love.
Try these spicy baja fish tacos on your next Taco Tuesday night or for a Friday fish fry.
still hungry for more?
pin this recipe on pinterest!
Subscribe! sign up for easy + delicious recipes delivered weekly-straight to your inbox!