This Pumpkin Cake Roll with Cookie Butter Filling is a classic pumpkin cake roll but with an extra special filling. It’s the BEST pumpkin cake roll you’ll ever have, promise!
If you love cookie butter try this Cookie Butter Coffee Cake is outstanding!
Cake rolls. Do they scare you? After this post I promise you’ll be a pro!
I will be real with you and tell you they are a little intimidating. All the rolling and hoping they don’t stick so that you cane unroll and then fill them. Then pray you didn’t fill them too much and the filling goes everywhere. I’ll walk you step by step.
And I would know best because I had to make this pumpkin cake roll twice. Not because of the cake roll recipe or the process but the first filling I put into the cake roll was gross. Legit gross.
What makes a disgusting filling better? Cookie butter. Cookie butter is always the answer.
Therefore, behold. The BEST Pumpkin Cake Roll with Cookie Butter Filling you ever did taste.
Ever since I started blogging back in 2015 I’ve wanted to make this pumpkin cake roll. You see, the recipe is my grandmother’s. It was a hand written recipe that was tucked inside a recipe book she was making for all of her grand kids.
I forgot about the pumpkin cake roll and opted to make these Pumpkin Nut Cookies which are also her recipe for a Cookbook revival post.
But now it’s #Pumpkinweek and I wasn’t letting this pumpkin cake roll slip through the cracks again.
As I said in the Pumpkin Nut Cookie post, I like to change my grandmother’s recipes around because who knows if they still stand true. Well, they do. But I still had to swap out the regular cream cheese filling and add cookie butter. Because, that’s how I roll.
This pumpkin cake roll recipe is absolute perfection. It’s soft, moist and bursting with pumpkin flavor. The directions she had written out were perfect and this baby rolled up like a dream.
You too can make this pumpkin cake roll with cookie butter frosting. I have 100% faith in you and everyone will love it.
Even your pumpkin hating friends. Just like my girlfriend Mel. I brought her a slice knowing damn well she didn’t like pumpkin and told her, I 100% expect you not to like this because of your disdain for pumpkin” I got a text about 10 minutes later declaring her love for this pumpkin cake roll with cookie butter frosting.
So all you pumpkin haters take note, this cake roll is BOMB! and so are these Pumpkin Spice Latte Whoopie Pies.
My husband who also isn’t that big of a fan of pumpkin so I didn’t even tell him I made it. Well he found it and proceeded to eat multiple pieces within the next few days also declaring it was amazing!
The truth is in the pumpkin cake roll with cookie butter frosting, people. So get to baking!
Pumpkin Spice Latte Whoopie Pies
Yield 16 servings
Pumpkin Spice Latte Whoopie Pies are your favorite #PSL turned into soft, moist cake rounds sandwiched together with coffee buttercream. The best new way to enjoy pumpkin spice latte!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 3/4 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 recipe for coffee buttercream
Coffee Buttercream Filling
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a whoopie pie pan** with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground ginger and ground cloves.
- In another large bowl beat brown sugar, oil, butter, pumpkin, eggs and vanilla.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in your wet ingredients. Stir until just combined
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 1/2 tablespoons) place batter into wells of pan. Bake in oven for 8-9 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely
- Into the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together, on medium speed, for 1 minute, until creamy.
- Turn the mixer down to low and using 1 cup at a time, start to add your powdered sugar. Mix well in between. Add in coffee extract and beat until fluffy, about another minute.
- When the whoopie pies are cooled, pipe the coffee buttercream onto the bottom of your whoopie pies and place on the top whoopie pie to create a sandwich.
I will be making this pumpkin cake roll with cookie butter frosting for every event from here until December. It’s a delicious show stopper and you’ll want to make it over and over again.
I’ve got another pumpkin recipe coming up tomorrow and it’s savory and I think you’re going to love it. It also contains a lot of cheese so it’s already a winner.
Cooks Tip: Spray your jelly roll pan with cooking spray, place parchment paper on top and spray it again. Wait about 2 minutes after it comes out of the oven (be careful, it’s hot) and flip it over onto a powdered sugar dusted clean kitchen towel.
Check out these other #PumpkinWeek Recipes:
Pumpkin Hot Chocolate from Sweet Beginnings
Pumpkin Alfredo Stuffed Shells from The Crumby Kitchen
Pumpkin Joes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
Roasted Pumpkin Queso from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Spicy Pumpkin Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Baked Goods & Desserts:
No Churn Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream from Daily Dish Recipes
Pumpkin Cake Roll with Cookie Butter Filling from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
Pumpkin Cheddar Biscuits from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins from Family Around the Table
Pumpkin Crumb Bread from The Nifty Foodie
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Buttercream from The Redhead Baker
Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes with Caramel Syrup from The Chef Next Door
Pumpkin Pecan Pie Layer Cake from Love and Confections
Pumpkin Pudding with Sour Cream Vanilla Topping from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Pumpkin Spice Dessert Hummus from For the Love of Food
Pumpkin Whoopie Pie Recipe from April Golightly
still hungry for more?
pin this recipe on pinterest!
Subscribe! sign up for easy + delicious recipes delivered weekly-straight to your inbox!