Switch up your boring ol’ taco night and serve up these delicious BBQ Steak Taco Salads with Homemade Tortilla Bowls. Kids will love to personalize their own salad with a variety of toppings and they’ll love to eat the bowl when they’re finished.
My family loves to eat Mexican food. I am always looking for ways to make tacos more fun than just serving up the usual hard or soft shells. We’re a divided house, half of us enjoy hard shells while the other half prefers soft shells. My husband and I enjoy tomatoes, while my kids just like their tacos with lettuce, meat and cheese. My daughter could eat an entire avocado by herself while my son looks at her in disgust.
That’s what makes these BBQ Steak Taco Salads with Homemade Tortilla Bowls so great. My kids can personalize their own salad, with any ingredients they’d like, and my husband and I can make them as spicy as we’d like without having to make a separate dinner for the kids. That’s a win-win my book.
In addition to searching for dinner ideas that my kids will love, I also want them to be healthy meals. It’s easy to just pick up a package of shells, brown up some meat and serve with various toppings but I like to serve healthier options along with those ingredients. For these bowls, I added rice, black beans and corn. For the rice I used Minute Multi Grain Medley. This medley includes brown rice, red rice, wild rice and quinoa, all in one blend. It’s 100% whole grain and tastes great. It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and all you do is boil in the bag. Simple and quick, just the way I like weeknight meals.
For the meat in these BBQ Steak Taco Salads with Homemade Tortilla Bowls, I chose top sirloin steak which has less fat, calories and sodium than your standard ground beef and more protein. I added even more protein with the black beans, which aren’t only rich in nutrients but they have a healthy dose of fiber as well. The corn, which I shucked right off the cob, has plenty of vitamins and nutrients so it’s an added boost of heart healthly yumminess. All in all I’d call this a pretty healthy taco salad.
What’s also great about this recipe is how versatile it is. You could use chicken, ground turkey, ground beef or no meat at all. You can switch up the vegetables and include bell peppers, carrots, black olives, spinach, it’s up to you. One of my husband’s personal favorites is to add Catalina dressing, so you could use that on your salad too.
The way I choose to spice up these BBQ Steak Taco Salads with Homemade Tortilla Bowls was with BBQ sauce and this BBQ Spice Rub. You could spice up your meat with taco seasoning, fajita seasoning or just the bbq sauce if it has enough spice for you. For the fun homemade tortilla bowls, I purchased these ” target=”_blank”>tortilla bowls from Amazon and let me tell you, I love them. I’ve used them countless times and they’ve never failed me. Mine took 10 minutes in the oven and they turned out perfectly. I use to buy the ones you can find in the refrigerated case, at the grocery store, where you build the paper ones, but you buy those twice and you’ve already paid for the ones on Amazon. Purchase justified.
Just look at those perfect BBQ Steak Taco Salads with Homemade Tortilla Bowls. I could just dive right through the screen and eat it now, ya feel me? Like I said, we love Mexican food around here. I’m always whipping up enchiladas, burritos or tacos at a moments notice because they are so quick and easy and with school starting right around the corner, we need all the quick meals we can get around here, Imma right?! Now go forward and dive in! Olé!
BBQ Steak Taco Salads with Homemade Tortilla Bowls
Switch up your boring ol' taco night and serve up these delicious BBQ Steak Taco Salads with Homemade Tortilla Bowls. Kids will love to personalize their own salad with a variety of toppings and they'll love to eat the bowl when they're finished.
- 1 pound top sirloin steak,cubed
- 1 Tablespoon, BBQ Spice Rub (or rub of choice)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 2 cups rice, cooked (I used Minute® - Multi-Grain Medley)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Toppings: lettuce, cheese, corn, black beans, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, use whatever you'd like.
- Place cubed steak into a resealable bag and add spice rub. Close bag and rub spices into meat. Refridgerate for 15 minutes. Take steak out of refridgerator and let rest for 10 minutes before added to skillet.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium heat and add oil. Saute the steak for 3 to 4 minutes until browned. Reduce heat to low and add in your BBQ sauce and summer for 10 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook your rice according to package directions.
- To make shells:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cook shells for 10 minutes. If you do not have a <a href="http:// " target="_blank">tortilla bowl you can use a muffin tin upside down, sprayed with cooking spray and lay the tortillas in the space between 4 cups.
- To prepare bowls:
- Start by placing 1/4 cup of rice in the bottom of each bowl. Next, add in a little bit of your produce. I like to add in the hardier ingredients like corn, black beans and a few tomatoes. Then, add in your steak and top with cheese, avocado, more tomatoes and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Recipe adapted from: Hyvee Burrito Bowls
Enjoy and if you make this recipe, please share a photo on social media and hashtag it #strawberryblondiekitchen I love to see your versions!