Your heart will grow three sizes with one bite of these Grinch Sandwich Cookies. Pistachio shortbread cookies, with heart cutouts and red icing pay homage to one of childhood’s favorite movies.
One of my favorite movies and (books) is Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas. There’s something about Dr Seuss and his way with words that just leaves me in awe of all of his stores.
Every year since before I can remember I’ve been tooning into the TV to watch the cartoon How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
Now I get to watch one of the greatest Christmas moves with my kids…and they love it too!
I was pondering to make sandwich cookies for #Christmascookies week and that very night the Grinch came on. It was during my favorite part that I realized I was turning these cutout cookies into hearts,
And what happened then…?
Well… in Who-ville they say
That the Grinch’s small heart
Grew three sizes that day!
I used a recipe for pistachio cookies because I love pistachios. I’ve had a love of pistachios for as long as I’ve been loving The Grinch.
Pistachio ice cream, pudding, the nuts themselves, you name it, I love it!
You can easily make these cookies with sugar cookie dough and they’d be just as cute.
Get the kids involved too! My kids love to use cookie cutters and help me cut out the shapes. Yes, sometimes they don’t always look like the shape, but it’s the fun of being in the kitchen that counts, right?
My advice to you on these Grinch Sandwich Cookies is to roll them thin. You are sandwiching them together so if you roll them too thick, you’ll be left with large sandwich cookies.
For the filling, I took the lazy road and used store-bought vanilla marshmallow frosting which is absolutely delicious and a total time saver. Again, you could use a homemade icing, totally up to you.
I hope your love of The Grinch movie inspires you to make these cookies and share them with the one you love. ♥
Grinch Sandwich Cookies
Yield 18 servings
Your heart will grow three sizes with one bite of these Grinch Sandwich Cookies. Pistachio shortbread cookies, with heart cutouts and red icing pay homage to one of childhood's favorite movies. | Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups pistachios, finely chopped
- 12 ounces Vanilla Marshmallow frosting
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or a large bowl, place butter and beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Add in sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Mix until combined. Add in yogurt and egg and mix until combined. Slowly add flour and mix until just combined. Fold in pistachios. Cover and chill dough for at least 2 hours. *Have dough come to room temperature for 20 minutes prior to baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with a Silpat or parchment paper
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half. Working with half a batch at a time, roll out into 1/8" thick. Using a heart cookie cutter, cut as many hearts. Re-roll scraps of dough and continue cutting hearts. Repeat with second ball of dough until all dough has been used. Using a small heart cookie cutter, cut hearts out of the center of half the heart cookies.
- Place cookies onto prepared sheet pan and bake 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes and move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cookies have cooled, stir red food coloring into frosting.
- Smear 1 teaspoon frosting onto bottoms of heart cookie without a cut out and top with cookies with a cutout center, to create a sandwich.
*slightly adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
Serving Size 18 servings
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 24 mg
Sodium 43 mg
Total Carbohydrates 32 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Friday is the last cookie recipe for cookiepalooza aka #ChristmasCookies week and if you love gingerbread, you’ll love these cookies!
Don’t forget about the giveaway on the Peppermint Crinkle Cookies post for Nielsen-Massey Fine Vanillas and Flavors for a set of their pure flavors: 2-oz each of Orange, Lemon, Peppermint, Almond, Chocolate, Coffee, Rose Water, and Orange Blossom Water.
- Cardamom Shortbread by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Coconut Almond Dipped Shortbread by Making the Most of Naptime
- Big and Chewy Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies by Cooking with Carlee
- Chocolate Oreo Peppermint Cake Mix Cookies by Soulfully Made
- Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe by Making Miracles
- Christmas Sprinkle Cookies by Books n Cooks
- Chunky Cranberry Double Chip Cookies by Family Around the Table
- Coconut Cherry Snowballs by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Coffee Shortbread Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Advenutres
- Double Chocolate Nutella Sandwich Cookies by House of Nash Eats
- Eggnog Cookies by Caroline’s Cooking
- Frosted Eggnog Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grandma’s Gingersnap Cookies by Tip Garden
- Grinch Cookies by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Heavenly Almond Cookies by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck Sruvive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Red Velvet Whoopie Pies by The Freshman Cook
- Thin Mint Crinkle Cookies by Bear & Bug Eats
- Norwegian Chocolate Chip Cookies by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Opa’s Chocolate Chip Cookies by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Rudolph Reindeer Cookies by Everyday Eileen
- Snow Kisses by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Snowflake Cookies by The Redhead Baker
- Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies by The Bitter Side of Sweet
still hungry for more?
pin this recipe on pinterest!
Subscribe! sign up for easy + delicious recipes delivered weekly-straight to your inbox!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I’ll make a small commission based on your purchase! There’s never any extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Strawberry Blondie Kitchen! Happy holidays! ♥2